Monday, April 12, 2010

Moo

Moo – Barcelona



One questions the name Moo for a restaurant. The exaggerated idea of a steakhouse comes to mind given the name, Moo, however this is not the case. Restaurant Moo is actually housed in a design boutique hotel called Omm near the prestigious Paseo de Gracia in Barcelona.
Under the guidance of the Spanish culinary heroes, the Roca brothers, restaurant Moo serves hotel patrons and restaurant goers a take on Modern Catalan cuisine. It’s accolades include a Michelin star, a talented chef by the name of Felip Llufriu and several awards for best sommelier/wine list.

I chose the Mid Day Moo Menu priced at 45€ as well as one dish from the a la carte menu: the ‘Golden Egg’ priced at a supplement of 15€.


AMUSE BOUCHE: Bloody Mary Gelee, Truffled Macaroons, Wasabi Dumpling, and Shrimp Cracker


AMUSE BOUCHE #2: (from left to right) Cold Japanese Soup with Red Shiso, Cauliflower ‘Vichyssoise’ with assorted Seafood, and Wakame, Shiso, and Glutinous Rice.


FIRST DISH: The Golden Egg

Many foodies have different opinions of what ingredients define the Golden Egg appetizer. I recall egg yolk, a syrup infused candy shell for an exterior and potato puree on the inside. This spherical beauty of a dish left me praising the chef(s) for their creativity and ingenuity.


SECOND DISH: Millefeuile of Wild Mushrooms & Foie Gras

Everytime a Foie Gras dish is served to me at a restaurant, I always feel the superficial glare of some restaurant go-er who wants to educate me about how Foie Gras should be banned. Till now, no angry comments from other foodies but I do it’s just a matter of time before my luck runs out. I have to say this dish was superb. I know the word éarthiness’ is extremely redundant however it is the correct term to describe it. The edible flowers, the slices of wild mushroom, and sprouts and naturally the thick wedges of succulent foie gras were a triumph.


MAIN DISH: Panfried Red Gurnard with Diced Vegetables and Miso

Two years after eating at Moo, the idea for my own food blog began. So in truth, I’m really guessing that the fish was indeed a Red Gurnard however, I could be mistaken. What I do remember is that of all the dishes I tried, this was probably the weakest due to the overall flavours of the dish. It was just an average dish and the presentation could have vastly been improved.


DESSERT: Forest Fruits and Vegetables Salad

When you are presented a dessert which has both fruits and vegetables in it, you begin to question have the kitchen brigade gone a bit too far in creativity. Sure, we’ve all heard of carrot cake and sweet potato pastries, but bar those two, it isn’t a popular choice for a sweet tooth such as myself. How wrong I could have been. The dessert was faultless in execution, pleasing to the eye and unbelievably delicious.


I praise the Roca brothers for their artistic vision and the dedication to Moo. It certainly deserved the praise that I read about prior to booking my reservation there. Had I been a frequent traveler to Barcelona, I would have been sure to eat there more often – alas, this is not the case. Faults? Yes, there were some. Minor issues with the timing of the dishes coming out of the kitchen and some of the flavors (especially on the fish dish) made me realize that it’s not a perfect restaurant although that’s not exactly the entire idea for Moo in my mind. I truly believe that the philosophy behind Moo was to present with creative and artistic dishes for diners to marvel and enjoy. In fact, one of the prettiest dishes I have ever seen in my life was an appetizer my wife ordered. It was a spring vegetable consomme. It definitely gets high merits for presentation.

My Score: 16/20


Food: 4
Presentation: 4.5
Ambiance: 3.5
Staff: 4

Moo Restaurant - (Hotel Omm) Rossello' 265, Barcelona

http://www.hotelomm.es/moo/default-en.html

No comments:

Post a Comment