Saturday, May 12, 2012

Da Nino, Rome

Da Nino - Rome


Recommended by a family member of mine, my wife and I eagerly awaited a lunch at the historic Da Nino restaurant located in a side street near the Spanish Steps.  Da Nino is considered an institution in the Roman culinary scene.  One interesting fact about this restaurant is the fact that when the originial ownership of Da Nino fizzled out, the waiters of the restaurant collectively joined forces and took over the management of the restaurant.

We were seated in old wooden rickety chairs and attended by an elderly Italian waiter.  He barely spoke any English and told us that everything on the menu was good to eat.


FIRST DISH: Boiled Asparagus with Butter and Parmesan Cheese

We selected the giant sized Asparagus on display in a showcase window and our waiter told us they only way to have them served properly would be with butter and Parmesan cheese, naturally!  They were simply delectable.  Firm stalks of green asparagus drenched with a heavy dose of butter and melted Parmesan.  An overwhelming 10/10.



SECOND DISH: Tagliatelle With Porcini

The porcini were uber tasty and meaty.  The tagliatelle was cooked to perfection.  I lapped up every bit of the sauce and wished that I had two portions of this outstanding pasta dish.  Again, a 10/10.


DESSERT: Fragole (Wild Berries)

At 7 euros for this dessert, I first questioned if it was going to be worth seven euros for mixed berries.  How I was wrong.  The berries were definitely wild with a hint of earthy sweetness.  If I'm not mistaken they were dressed with the slightest touch of a sweet alcohol.  I remarked to the waiter how delicious the berries were and he quietly nodded as if to say, ''I told you so''.

THE DINING ROOM

In my opinion, this was truly the best lunch that I had in Rome.  Everything went by without a hitch.  The food was outstanding, the prices reasonable (64 euros for two diners) and the ambiance was totally charming.

In a corner of a restaurant, two waiters were arguing what pasta would be better to use for one diner's dish.  In the center of the room sat the all powerful cashier.  A lady who oversaw every check and scoured the restaurant for regular guests to chat up.  She spoke to me in Italian when I went to pay although I had no idea what she said.  I deduced that she was claiming that the food at Da Nino was always excellent and it was my privilege to have been able to dine there - or so I guessed.

If you do visit Rome, you must visit this institution and book ahead in advance.  It's worth every penny.


Da Nino

Via Borgognona, 11  00187 Rome, Italy

www.ristorantenino.it

No comments:

Post a Comment