Sunday, June 24, 2012

Eat House

The Eat House - Antwerp, Belgium


I work in Antwerp, Belgium and the city is known for its famous architecture, diamonds, beer, chocolates and its vast workforce of expatriates.  Many of my friends happen to be from Great Britain and when a social gathering is in order, they tend to flock to the Eat House for some English grub.



MAIN DISH: Vegetable Sambar

Great Britain has an affinity towards Indian dishes throughout the generations.  In fact, many Indian dishes have been converted so that it met the taste of the British public.  This dish that I chose, the vegetable sambar, was odd to say the least.  The vegetables were hardly cooked and the tamarind sauce that it was cooked in was lacking in flavor.  I knew I should have chose the chicken tikka masala instead of this.



DESSERT: Sticky Toffee Pudding

According to most restaurant reality shows, it has been said that a lot of desserts in cafes or restaurants are mostly outsourced.  The sticky toffee pudding shown here, I feel, is subject to that statement.  That isn't saying that I didn't enjoy it but I am sure it wasn't made fresh for that day and maybe that week as well.  The saucy toffee worked well with mushy cake.  A sweet tooth's real friend I should say.

The last word:

What most people like about the Eat House is the fact that they don't claim that they're a gourmet restaurant.  They cater more to comfort food that English citizens or other nationalities alike may find reminsicent of their time when they were back home.  I believe I paid something like 25 Euros for the two plates shown above with a couple of ginger beers to wash down.  Would I recommend this place?  Sure, go for the atmosphere and for dishes like fish and chips, bacon and egg sandwiches, etc...but please don't think that all the food is made fresh and with culinary skill.  Instead, the best idea is to kick back, relax, and spend your time with friends as you gobble down some good old fashioned British comfort food.

My Score: 11.5/20


Food: 3
Presentation: 2.5
Ambiance: 3
Staff: 3

The Eat House - Kammenstraat 2, Antwerpen

No website to date

No comments:

Post a Comment