Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Hulstkamp


Hulstkamp, Antwerpen


I'm certainly not a fan of tourist restaurant in cities.  I've been so brainwashed by shows like Kitchen Nightmares and the 'Smaakt Politie (Food Inspectors) that I dread having to enter any restaurant in a city located near a bus/train station or an airport fearing that these restaurants cater to the masses and therefore emphasis on food quality or hygiene isn't necessarily a top priority. 

When the decision was made to go to Hulstkamp for a quick lunch, (located steps away from Antwerp Central Station) I entered the brasserie and hoped for the best.


MAIN DISH: Scampi Salad with Mango, Mint, and Curry Dressing

The salad was dressed with a curry sauce that I am guessing was a store bought product.  Do you know what?  It wasn't all that bad.  It was certainly an Indo-Thai themed salad and who doesn't like scampi or mangoes?  At 19 euros anybody could argue that a salad of this size might be a bit too expensive?  All in all though, perfectly acceptable.

As sufficient as the food was, Hulstkamp is not known as being a restaurant known for its food.  Instead it used more often as a watering hole that has some food should anybody be hungry.  The restaurant has a commanding position on the renowned Keyserlei street in Antwerpen.  In the last few months, the Keyserlei has undergone an enormous transformation to transform a busy street into a pedestrian only zone with trees, shrubs, and plenty of bars and restaurants serving patrons outdoors.

This doesn't mean that I'm skeptical of touristic restaurant.  God knows I have visited one too many in my many travels and most of them were truly sub par.  I did see something special however: Hulstkamp is a brasserie indeed, but what made the place extra special for me was that the restaurant had ''its regular clientele''.  Mostly senior citizens sipping on their beer or whiskey striking casual conversation with whomever might be a the table next to them.  It made the atmosphere very inviting and friendly.   I'm hoping that Hulstkamp charm works on me again the next time I visit.



My Score: 13/20

Food: 3.5
Presentation: 3
Ambiance: 3.5
Staff: 3


HULSTKAMP - De Keyserlei 23, Antwerpen


http://www.hulstkamp.be/

No comments:

Post a Comment